I’ve been speaking to a few of my wedding industry friends and it amazes me how many of them have so much of their time wasted by couples not turning up for wedding appointments for lots of different reasons. For all wedding companies, and especially smaller suppliers, time is money. Missed appointments, turning up late and over running appointments can have a huge knock on effect to the suppliers and their other customers. I know that everyone has busy lives these days, but showing people some common courtesy doesn’t cost anything. And I’m sure if the shoe was on the other foot, you would get frustrated by people treating you in this way.
When you have wedding appointments booked, please follow these simple guidelines and support your wedding industry suppliers.
- If you’re going to be late, phone and let the company know. Everyone understands issues with traffic- especially with the congested roads in Britain today.
- Don’t arrive 20 minutes early and encroach on the couple’s appointment before yours. Imagine how you would feel if another couple turned up half way through your appointment!
- If you can’t make the appointment, let the company know as soon as possible so they can book in another client.
- If you are late for your appointment, do not expect the appointment to be the original length of time. Your appointment may still end at the agreed time if the company have another appointment booked in after yours.
- When you do arrive thank the people you are meeting for giving up their time to meet with you (as well as an apology if you are late!). Wedding companies may have put off completing other work to give you a free consultation- think of all the hours that go into editing photographs after the big day.
After you have met with the company send a quick email thanking the company for the consultation. If you’ve met with a few companies for one part of your wedding e.g. venues (we looked at five read about our venue hunt here), a quick email or phone call to let the unsuccessful companies know of your decision is always appreciated. Never feel uncomfortable telling a supplier that you have booked someone else, they always appreciate your feedback and to know that you have found the right person or company for your wedding.
Remember the people you are meeting with while you’re planning your wedding are the people who are going to make your big day really special and memorable.